• Randy Vallis
    When it comes to trusting anyone working on my RV or tow vehicle there are few I would. For many years I have used the same mechanic and same guy to install my trailer hitches, the one time I didn't occur when I bought my first hybrid, a Palomino it was a near disaster. The dealership I purchased the trailer from included the install of a new hitch and electric brake controller. We were so excited when it was all ready, we had graduated from a pop up. I towed the trailer to a number of campground over the couple of weeks and then headed home. I noticed in my travels there were unusual noises, heavy when stopping and when I called the dealer he said that it was normal. It wasn't. When I took a closer look I was horrified. I placed my foot on the hitch and it moved several inches, I felt nauseated at that moment. I brought my vehicle to the man who was an expert in installing hitches. When he crawled from under my vehicle he too was white as a ghost. He said if I sued the dealer who installed this hitch he would be happy to testify on my behalf. He told me of the six bolts used to keep the hitch attached to my chassis only two remained and only one was tight, how it never let go while towing was a miracle, as for the electric brake controller it was never hooked up properly and never worked. Needless to say I did receive reimbursement but the lesson for me was to always use people who have a proven track record. It takes time to build a repore with people that provide services and when you find them, trust their skills, then stick with them.
  • Greg F
    The only one I have developed any real rapport with is myself. I do get my oil changed at the quicky lubes for convenience but for things like installing hitches I just do it myself. Who knows if the shop will use loctite, proper hardware and a torque wrench to do the job properly. I just ordered a small lift kit for our jeep. The shop wants 800 bucks for about 2 hours work. I would still be going under to double check their work anyway. Might as well do it myself. I'm sure I can find something to do with the $800- :cool:
  • Logan X
    I’m with Greg, especially with my trailer, I do all of the work myself. There are a lot of resources on the internet to find out how to diagnose and fix problems. Randy, I’m glad to hear you avoided a disastrous situation if the hitch came loose.
  • Zeb - Michele
    Randy,
    Glad you caught the problem before dropping the trailerI am with Logan & Greg,
    I do all the maintenance, mods & repairs on the 5 th wheel my self or I get a good friend to help. I remember the year we got the 5 er and had to put in the 5 th wheel hitch, I think I must have measured 10 or more times before I drilled the pilot holes in bed for installing the Pull Rite Super Glide hitch.
    Although when it comes to the truck & car I've been going with the same mechanic for years.
  • Randy Vallis
    I too do a lot of the maintenance required however we have to have our TTs inspected every year and our vehicles every two years so finding the right shop that is honest is important, it's like finding a good family doctor. I grew up with a father who was a mechanic and two brothers who were muscle car guys. Gotta tell ya the 57 Chevy my oldest brother customized was something to see.
  • Rick
    I check torque on all of my Reese slider 5th wheel hitch rail and chassis bolts once a year. There are always one or two that need it!
  • Logan X

I agree 100% Randy. I am also always in search of a reputable mechanic that I trust to work on my stuff. Please forgive me if I sounded like I was trying to give any advice, I was just stating my preference of doing everything I can myself.
  • Randy Vallis
    No need to apologize I understood and I always welcome advice, hate to imagine all the mistakes I would have made without it. Rv
  • Zeb - Michele
    On our trip to AK. we broke an axle spring, can't say enough about Coach-Net, they got the fifth wheel up on a low boy and we got to follow it for 8 Hr. When your 7,000 miles from home and all your HD tools are back there. I was grateful we belong to Escapee's Club & Days End , they keep an updated list on repair shops other members had good luck which came in handy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment