• Chris
    Hi All,

I followed the thermostat mod that Ray did over a year ago(we have similar Cougar 5th wheels) and never have had any prior issues, but it had weird issues this weekend. We were at a RV park on shore power with full propane tanks. The temp was dipping into the high 30s overnight, so I set the thermostat to 60 to make sure the wife stayed happy. Before going to bed, I ran the heat up to 65 just to make sure everything worked ok. The heater ran for about 25 minutes, got up to temp and then shut off. Every few minutes it would kick on, run for a minute, and then kick off. It did this quite often, and I was a little worried that it would be bad for the furnace to cycle that much. Not sure.

When we went to bed, I set the temp back down to 60 and lights out. After about an hour, the temp got down enough to kick the heater on and I thought all was well. I woke up about 5am and noticed that it felt too cold. Got up and sure enough...it was 51 degrees! Super strange. I double checked the propane and it was still full. The burners on the stove came on...so that should be good. Still had power and no blown fuses or anything. Finally, I turned the thermostat's mode to off, waited a minute, and then back on. On comes the heater!! Now, I am suspecting something is goofy with the thermostat. I stood there to make sure it was going to put out heat and it did. Back to bed. The heater ran quite a while and I fell back asleep. I got up around 7:30 and it was cold again, back to 50...no heat. Ugh! I cycled the thermostat again, and back on it comes.

Any ideas on how I troubleshoot? I have two upcoming trips in November and it is SURE to be colder. Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Ray
    Did you keep the old OEM thermostat? You could hook it up as an easy way to determine which is the problem thermostat or furnace. I had one of the Honeywell go bad on me, it would occasionally not shut off.

If it does turn out to be the Suburban furnace here is a link to a good manual http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Suburban-Furnace-Master-Service-and-Training-Manual.pdf
  • Chris
    Thanks Ray!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube