• Phar0e
    on shorter cougar fifth wheels is there any concern with moisture coming up through the landing jack openings into the lower front compartment if you plan on putting electrical components in that space?
  • Ray
    I have a ton of electrical connections and wiring and electronic devices in my front compartment and have had no moisture or corrosion problems. I mount the stuff on the wall but even the floor stays relatively dry.

I recently tore apart this inverter that has been in there for over 10 years to have a look.

• Phar0e
    Thanks Ray, that's good to know, won't have to worry about it now.
  • Rick
    The previous owner of my 5er used expandable foam to seal all of the openings around the legs where they exit the front compartments. It is always dry in there, even after driving through heavy rain. Just FYI, and YMMV!
  • Phar0e
    oh interesting Rick, but wouldn't the foam impede the legs going up and down? unless the part that goes into the bay does not move (we have not picked our fifth wheel up yet so we are still newbys on the fifth wheel as we had a trailer previously)
  • Ray
    I think the OEM leaves the opening so the legs can be easily swapped out in case of failure and as extra ventilation for the battery gases if using lead-acid or maybe even propane as the tanks are right next door.
    Here are a couple of related videos about the landing jacks I've done:
    https://www.loveyourrv.com/repairing-my-broken-fifth-wheel-landing-leg/
    https://www.loveyourrv.com/fifth-wheel-power-landing-jack-leg-lubrication/

They will show you what the opening looks like. Cheers, Ray
  • Phar0e
    Thanks Ray; actually we had watched both those videos previously which is what started us wondering if water gets into the basement through the openings on the landing jacks, but thanks to your previous comment about yours staying dry, we feel confident that we can go ahead and plan on putting our batteries etc. in that area. And if we do notice some moisture, we will try Ricks idea. thanks for the help.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment