• OTRGrumpyman
    I'm finally getting my solar installed on my RV. I have chosen Eddie from Mobile Homestead Solar Services to do the installation for me. I went with 4/160 Amp panels. Morningstar 60 Amp charge controller. Trimetric battery monitor. Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger. 3/100 Amp Battle Born batteries. This is day one of the install. 0ydaaak3pfq5jml6.jpeg
    rr5w9n5vug6ile0y.jpeg
    pbvx6o1vjs27bqi3.jpeg
  • RVsolar
    Nice got to love SOLAR!!!!
    Eddie dose it well !!
  • Greg F
    You will love lithium power and you have a great installer! Your 3 small batteries will amaze you.

One small note, I see a magnum temperature compensator on the battery. In general LFP should not be temperature compensated. Battleborn doesn't recommend it on their batteries although their built in BMS should keep the battery safe from seeing over voltage. BB is very helpful if you have any questions I would give them a ring.

Look forward to seeing the final result! :up:
  • Rush and Lola
    Read a post recently where a RV'er had lithium and the temp. had got to 41 degs. and his batteries stopped charging account of the cooler temp. If I spent a $1000's for a battery and it stop charging at 41 degs. well I'd be ill. Now if I bought them knowing that they don't charge in cool temps that would be my fault. I can almost replace my whole battery bank for that price for one battery alone. (8-6volts Lead acid). To each his own good luck in cooler weather.
  • Greg F
    Can you link to the post? I would be interested in that. I think something must be wrong with their system.

LiFePO4 batteries charge just fine at 41 degrees. They will accept a charge at any temperature but if the battery itself is frozen (not just ambient temperature being below freezing) they will be damaged with a strong charge. Batteries like the Battleborn have a temperature sensor built in that will stop charging if the battery is too cold. (frozen)

I see that in this installation batteries are protected from cold weather in a heated basement. Water lines should freeze/burst before these batteries BMS will halt charging.

When considering the cost of a drop-in battery like the battle born remember that these 100 AH batteries are a usable 100AH. so you need 2 GC batteries to essentially equal 1 of these 30 pound LFP batteries. You will also get 3x or more lifecycles from a lithium battery. This will make them less expensive in the long run.

Some other advantages to lithium:

They can take and deliver much higher current when charging and discharging.

You don't need to factor in Peukerts Law with LFP. Higher rates of discharging do not noticeable diminish the batteries efficiency. This is why they are used in electric cars. High energy density and the ability to deliver big power over time even in cold weather.

They never need a full charge (or equalization charge) In solar applications this is huge, especially if you are running a modest solar array with a comparatively large battery bank. We go months without a full battery. In fact lithium batteries are happier when they are not resting in a state of trickle float.

Weight and space. A single 30 pound lithium battery stores about the same energy as a pair of 120 pound 6v batteries. Not every rv has weight and space considerations but many do. Mine sure does.

LFP does not need absorption or float charging. Chargers should be set up to hit them with high current as long as possible. In a solar charging applications this is a huge advantage. They will fill faster and more complete during there day while the sun is out.

LFP batteries don't self discharge at any considerable rate. They can sit for months without needing to be tended. This can be a big feature for those that store their rv most of the year. Just disconnect and it is still full many months later.

There is no maintenance or venting requirements compared to a wet cell battery. Like AGM you don't need to add water or use a hydrometer to maintain them.

So, while the initial cost is more, for those full timing or looking for a battery that will last many years LFP is worthy of consideration. The tech isn't new and untested anymore and I predict that in 5 years most new RV's will have high density batteries like those the OP chose.
  • Greg F
    Great picture. What a backdrop.
  • Rush and Lola
    The post was on RVillage Greg. I am ole school I guess. hard for me to pay $1000 a battery when I can buy 5 of mine to one of those. To each his own. 5 years running and the ole Lead Acid still doing there job.
  • Greg F
    Really all that matters with any system is that it works for what the user wants. I saw your system being built on Rays channel. You have an awesome system built by one of the few true professional installers out there! I have seen some bad instals documented on youtube. It's nice to rest assured that your system was done correctly.

For us there wasn't really an option with our truck camper we just don't have the room or weight capacity to do what I wanted power wise with led acid. You guys with your big 5th wheels have all kinds of room for solar and batteries. :) Little jealous about that.
  • RVsolar
    I went with Chey volt batteries 12v @ 200 amp x 2 for my 5wheel .
    Working great
  • Ray
    Those photos are great! Happy boondocking. :)
  • Kimberly
    I'm liking my AGM's just fine. A bit heavy, but doing what they are designed to do.
    Maybe when they are at their end, 5+ years, the lithium's will be more affordable and reliable to below freezing, when the furnace needs to work! The competition will be more aggressive then too.
    First to market isn't always the best.
    If you can afford the liths, go for it!
    @OTRGrumpyman you are going to love the freedom! Installed by someone not affiliated with one or the other so a professional install suited to you! Mobile Homestead Solar Services
  • Rush and Lola
    I understand and thanks. I hope Trojan soon introduces the new Trillium batteries. I have one question Greg. What happens when you lose one battery? If one of those Lithium goes bad do you replace one or all.
  • Rush and Lola
    Wheres the ole rail and hammer? I miss the ping.
  • Eddie Aileen
    We power the "Mobile Homestead" on a NST Deuterium/Dilithium Crystal filtered Nuclear Fusion Core Warp Drive.
    Core power is run thru 10/0 wire into our BTTF Flux Capacitor where we produce 1.21 Jigawatts of power, where we use step down mega transformers (Optimums Prime) to produce 12-volts of power.
    In witch our two Magnum inverters run a small city.
    The only draw back......................we keep ending up in the strangest places & never know what time it is!?!?!?!?!???????
    bivtgdl8dfb61cv1.jpg
    culp9rzpckmwtva1.jpg
  • Kimberly
    That's hilarious!
  • Kimberly
    Back to the present....
    Glad to have you! You are now a member of the DDD club!
    k2zulw6v80yx8enw.jpg
  • Greg F
    Just 1.

In this install 3 batteries are being installed in parallel for 300AH. So if one went bad you would remove one and still have 2 good batteries in parallel for a 200AH system. Battleborn batteries have a 10 year warranty.
  • Eddie Aileen
    I still have the old "Blacksmith Hammer & Anvil".
    I'm just trying out something new a friend gave me.
    It's good up to 2/0, but I believe the anvil/hammer is best for the 4/0+ cables.
    I'm giving it a good try.......
    Happy Trails...Buddy!!!
  • Rush and Lola
    Yea the ole Anvil/hammer- PING
  • OTRGrumpyman
    Day 2 we had to go pick up some parts I didn’t bring with me. Day 3 we were back at th Installation. l9tn6jd4crod0w08.jpeg
    67wub5xk9d0bhz0m.jpeg
    45w11hr2e9efwhts.jpeg
    l9tn6jd4crod0w08.jpeg
    tz4ichnnwe3l4jjn.jpeg

stk92yiappwi3p8t.jpeg
    r39of7bottj0akn4.jpeg
    Attachment
    72C795A6-7D6D-45ED-A90B-0A829938598A (329K)
  • JESFL
    Exciting to see this installation! I am planning now for my install early 2020, hopefully.
    But, I just went to Eddie's Mobile Homestead Solar Services web site to send him a message. Curiously, I find no "contact" link or email address? Would someone be kind enough to help me with a way to make a contact. Thanks.
  • Eddie Aileen
    Howdy!
    Our e-mail is----
    Also you can PM me here on rays forum orgive me a call on my cell phone at....
    (252) 475-8034
    Happy Trails!!!
  • OTRGrumpyman
    Another productive day. Almost done.bkjqt7uyzyx4m2am.jpeg
    50586ynbzosxm8g7.jpeg
  • OTRGrumpyman
    Enjoyed my first solar morning with my coffee brewed with my solar system.nf8y3xp0h4fagbge.jpeg
  • Rush and Lola
    Eddie and I did a video of my first cup brewing and the draw it did on the battery bank. Boy we jealous not to be there enjoying the company of the DDD's. Enjoy your new Mobile Home Stead Solar service install.
  • OTRGrumpyman
    Installation is done!! Now too enjoy the benefits of all the hard work Eddie has done. 47tvyg0gux9lcyda.jpeg
  • Ray

That looks like an awesome off-grid setup James, hope you have many happy boondocking years ahead! :up: :heart: :cool:
    Good job again @Eddie Aileen
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet