• Dave and Shelly
    Would like to hear everyone's opinion on the pros and cons of getting an extended warranty for your RV. Looking to possibly purchase a 1 year used RV (manufacturer warranty does not transfer) and dealer is offering Route66 extended 4-year warranty.
  • Rush and Lola
    Well we had a microwave go bad and our Extended warranty paid for it. All but the deductible. Only drawback was a real RV tech that the warranty company acknowledged had to do the work. We glad we had it when the microwave/ convection oven was $700.
  • Greg F
    I have never purchased an extended warranty for anything in 30+ years and have never regretted it. One thing to consider buying used is that all Rv's have little issues when they are new. Presumably those have all been worked out.

The warranty companies know the odds better than I do and I am handy enough to fix pretty much anything. Essentially the warranty company is betting that you won't have a problem in the warranties duration period and you are betting that you will. I don't like betting against my own self interests. I would be more inclined to spend the money on a complete inspection from a pro to look for things you may not be aware of that can help you decide on a price or if you want the RV at all. Leaks come to mind.

That being said I think extended warranties can be a good option for those who don't pack a lot of tools, aren't mechanically inclined and mainly for those would benefit from peace of mind. Hard to put a price on that. Recently I helped my Mother purchase a new car. The cost of the warranty was worth it to her (after we chopped the price more than 50% even if she never used it (her words). I think that's a good way to look at it.

Whatever warranty you choose remember that you can usually negotiate a better price and read every single bit of fine print. If you're not sure of something make them explain it or consult with someone that understands legal ease and even amend the contract so that promises are accurately represented. If they refuse to put into writing what the promise walk away! These extended warranty companies are notorious for disputing claims. Do as much research as you can and look for customer reviews.

We recently purchased a Jeep and they offered a "lifetime" warranty. The lifetime turned out to be the lifetime of repairs costs that didn't exceed their opinion on what the car was worth at the time. The salesman touted "free engines for life" etc which was phooey.

Here is Route 66 yelp review page. There are probably other places you can check as well to see what customers think. BBB might be helpful.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/route-66-extended-warranty-mountain-home

Hope this helps. Greg
  • Ray
    When we bought our Cougar in 2011 we bought a 6 year extended warranty to tack onto the 1 year Keystone warranty. So 7 years warranty tip to tail with $50 CAD deductible. Cost $1500 CAD at the time so not bad and the big thing for us was it was transferable. At the time we had plans to use it for a one year trip then sell it so having a long warranty would help the used sale.

However, we ended up keeping it. Most things that went wrong I fixed myself as it was a pain to take it to a dealer and I trust myself more. ;) They likely added up to around a 1000 bucks.
    We did have the fridge blow a cooling unit about year 6 and the dealer put in a brand new unit for the $50 CAD deductible. Cost of the fridge was around $1500 CAD so we basically broke even.

There is a warranty company called Wholesale Warranties that I'm an affiliate of, they give free quotes if you are looking to compare things.
  • Lorraine
    As Greg mentioned above, we are also not extended warranty people. We were offered a package at $1400, I believe, but we declined. We used our 5th wheel a lot the first year and got everything tended to possible in that first year. After that, as Ray has, Greg (mine, not the above poster ) has been capable of fixing anything than has gone haywire himself. I agree that an extended warranty is valuable for those not inclined to doing their own repairs.
  • Jack Tyler
    I can understand someone having a personal preference to generally avoid extended warranty offers, as obviously each policy's carrier makes a profit over that combined policy holder group. Still, an RV is a unique product - a 'system of systems', some of which new owners know little about, assembled in part or in whole by manual labor in high-paced production facilities. It isn't a Toyota or a new air conditioner. IMO Greg's suggestion to look at your own skills and tools, comparing them to the RV you are considering, should be a major consideration. Also, like Ray, our lack of RV experience means we're not sure if we'll keep the trailer for a long period, so we thought a transferable policy would be an incentive to a buyer if we chose not to keep the trailer.

We opted for the extended warranty when buying a new trailer simply because it had no cancellation penalty for the first 60 days, we hadn't researched them prior to the purchase (so good for you to be doing so!) and thus there was no downside to buying the 'new trailer' policy. (Our policy cost was $2,100 for Years 2 thru 7). The main positive for our policy was that it was a 'full coverage minus exclusions' policy, meaning the policy language had to specify what was NOT covered and, otherwise, everything was presumed by the policy language to be covered. This is the preferred language as, except for those stated exclusions, you aren't arguing at a later date doubt coverage you *thought* you had purchased.

FWIW in the end, I requested and received the refund. This is our first RV but not our first rodeo, if you know what I mean. There already have been two minor issues that were simply easier for me to fix than to haul the trailer to the dealer and leave it for two weeks. And I'm already adding systems on my own, which I'm willing to assume responsibility for. And also relevant: We're willing to research a problem when possible as we hate to be hostage to unexpected circumstances and vendor backlogs, even if we won't be able to fix everything that eventually fails. So did we make the right decision for us? We'll have to wait and see. Good luck on your own research and let us know what you ended up deciding and why.

Jack
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet