• Susan
    We just returned from a week camping in the Moab Area of Southeastern Utah. I honestly don't think I have ever seen a prettier area and with so much to see and do. There are two gorgeous National Parks: Canyonlands & Arches, an equally gorgeous Utah State Park: Dead Horse Point, a Winery (yes, in Utah!), the Colorado River and even some dinosaurs roaming around.

We stayed at the campground at Dead Horse Point State Park which worked out well for us to visit Canyonlands, Arches, and the Moab/Colorado River Area. We did see plenty of boondocking spots all over the place off of I-191, but they were pretty crowded if you stayed close to the highway. Probably if you drive down the road some it would be better, but the roads were pretty muddy. There are also plenty of dry campgrounds off of HWY 313 on the way to Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. Personally, I'm glad we were in the campground with electricity (no water or sewer) so we could run our electric heater at night when temps dipped into the 30s.

It stormed on and off the whole time we were there with hail and rain, but we didn't mind hiking in the rain and it thinned the crowds out on the trails considerably. I found out that the month of May is the busiest month for visitors to the area, especially from overseas. I thought the busy time would be in the summer, but I guess it's too hot.

Even though there were some crowds and rain (which on the positive side had the whole desert blooming), I highly recommend a visit to this beautiful area.

ueid5lpe5rakk3z5.jpg
    w9unutmq0mldurrp.jpg
    gpq34tuzlmerqw1o.jpg
    w6z6iy52lh99lmxf.jpg
    b4j5towj62ydq5wt.jpg
  • VW's-Travels
    Few realize dinosaurs still roam there, nice shot!
  • Mike645
    Moab is one of my favorite places, it is stunning, and you are right
    there is so much to do there. Beautiful scenic pictures! Did you have to make
    a reservation ahead of time for the campground? Was it full, and what was the
    cost? Sounds like you are having a great time. Margo
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    So true, I just came from Moab area, was there 10 days in the BLM area of Willow Springs Trail, about 5 miles north of Moab. I had the best time, met lots of people and plan to keep in touch. Then the rains and storms came and I get why you wanted a campground. The once perfectly manicured roads were a total wash by the end of my 10 days. But you couldn't beet the view I had for anything, and the location was perfect for the National Parks. I missed the dinos but spotted them from the road. :grin:
  • Susan
    Yes, I made a reservation back in February and I think I got the last campsite. The cost was $40 per night and there was only electrical at the site. No water or sewer. The campsites were paved and had a very nice shade structure with picnic table, a tent pad, and a fire pit and the sites were nicely spread out. There were also vault toilets. There wasn't water available anywhere, but they had a dump station with non-potable water. This campground was probably one of the cleanest I have ever been too. Personally, I think $40 was a little pricey, but it's in a beautiful area and there are some wonderful hiking and biking trails in Dead Horse Point State Park.

There are many dry campsites and BLM land all over the area. I think the dry campgrounds were $20 a night and first come, first serve. We spoke to a couple staying in one of the dry campgrounds and they liked that there were mountain bike trails right outside their door. There was also a lot of mud because of the storms.

We checked out one called Horsethief Campground off of Hwy 313 and it was really nice with a ton of sites. The sites were big with lots of space and they had tent pads, a picnic table, and a fire pit. Also there were vault toilets. I think when we go back we will probably stay there because it was in a really pretty area.

We drove into the city of Moab and there were 3 or 4 RV parks in town. They looked like typical RV parks with full hook-ups. I spoke to another couple staying in one of these and they liked the RV park in town because they could walk to all the shops and restaurants.
  • Mike645
    Thanks Susan for the info. Moab being such a popular area I can see why one
    would have to book way in advance. When a campground just has electric, no
    water...how do work your water situation, can you explain. Also what do you mean
    by a dump station with non-potable water. Thanks, Margo
  • Susan
    We are fortunate that we have a 58 gallon fresh water tank. We fill it up at home before we go. I know it adds some extra weight, but we really haven't noticed a difference when towing. By conserving water the 58 gallons lasted us a week and I'm sure there is still plenty of water left in there. There are only two of us, so if you have a family, it might not last as long. By conserving, I mean taking military showers and not letting the water run while doing the dishes, brushing teeth, etc. Our biggest problem is filling up our 30 gallon grey tank. If the grey starts to fill, I'll usually do the dishes in a tub and dump the water down the toilet because we have never, ever come close to filling the black tank. I'll place the tub in the shower to catch some of that water and put it in the toilet too.

If you don't want to fill up your fresh tank at home, I heard there is a Maverick gas station in Moab that lets you fill up for free. We always bring an extra 6 gallon water jug with us in case we need it.

The non-potable water at the dump station is only to be used to rinse your hose out after dumping. I don't think it is safe to drink it or fill your fresh tank up with it.
  • Mike645
    Thank you Susan for the info it will surely help us. Have a wonderful
    time traveling around. Margo
  • Bruce
    I love Moab, cant wait to return, glad you had a good trip.
  • Eddie Aileen
    Howdy Susan!
    We love Moab, but love visiting it more in the off season when there is not so many Jeeps and RVer's in town.
    Happy Trails!!!

m901y5wpbpe9fhda.jpg
    9u4wwvgh1dq0nu7x.jpg
    bcbj474uzk5p5mtp.jpg
  • Rush and Lola
    We boondocked at HorseThief on the road in to Canyonland. Very nice campground with a lot of mountain Bike trails.
  • Barbhs
    We love Moab too! Next time you are there, check out the Needles part of canyonlands, south of Moab. Different from all the rest and some amazing hiking there. It's a bit of a drive from Moab, but so worth it!
  • RVsolar
    Hey we do too . From last year on the way home .wacm9ngutefdab5z.jpeg
    1iqflt3kfm5b9es4.jpeg
    41zh1rr80t2l7joh.jpeg
    9mqvyhenk1ziu5mt.jpeg
    3uzuete7ji7tn403.jpeg
  • Steve S
    Hi Susan … I dumped my tanks at that Maverick station, saw that the water tap was obviously being used by people rinsing their sewer hoses; so went back into the store. Asked them where is the potable water tap was? … answer: "that's the one right by the dump." Response: "No thanks, not going to trust it."

I do use a Berkey filter but even so, Berkey's can only do so much.
  • Susan
    Ewwww! Yuck! I never thought about people using the "potable" water to rinse out the sewer hose. I think we will continue to fill our fresh tank at home before we head out.
  • Goodson
    Nice Pics :smile:
  • Steve S
    Hi, the beginning of this video shows the Moab area and the National Parks … Moab
  • RVsolar
    Nice video
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube