• Lewis
    Does anyone have a thought on Sailun S637 ST
    heavy duty trailer tires? I know everyone says to stay away from the "China Bombs" but I have heard good things about them. My trailer is a 2008 Cameo that is around the 10,000 lb weight so I'm not sure on the direction I should go.
    The size that's on it are ST 235 -80-16
  • Sean
    We put them on about 1500 miles ago and love them. The thicker sidewall helps with sway, gives you a much firmer feel when pulling.0a9do3u7vektvja1.jpg
    I did a ton of research on them and found nothing but positive reviews. They say to run them at 110 psi, but I run mine at 95psi cold and when up to temperature after a few miles they are at 105-110 psi according to my tpms. I would definitely recommend them.
  • Lewis
    Thanks Sean, that helps to confirm the way I was going. Appreciate the input!
  • Dhuhn
    I have them on my 5er. A very good tire have never heard a bad review on them. I’ve had them over a year and about 5000 miles on them still look as good as I first put them on. IMO there as good as the Goodyear G614 and half the price.
  • Lewis
    Good to hear thanks for the information!
  • Chris and Wanda
    I don't trust any of the "Chinese skins".... I have opted on the last two 5th wheels that I've owned to replace the tires with Michelin Defender truck tires (load range "E") and have had 0 problems. Some have told me that the sidewalls on truck tires are "too hard" but I've experienced no open cabinets or other issues. A friend of mine had a Chinese tire separate and do about $5,000 in exterior/fiberglass damage..... I'll deal with a drawer sliding open if that ever happens.
  • Lewis
    Thanks for the information, I have heard LT tires over ST tires can give you a bit of sway in the trailer but the good thing about light truck tires you can get better quality and easy availability.
  • Logan X
    I have heard nothing but good reviews on sailun tires. ST tires are the way to go on the trailer, in my opinion of course.

I could be wrong, I thought ST tires had a stiffer sidewall than LT tires. The LT tires have to be more flexible because they are on steering axles. The ST tires can be stiffer because they don’t turn. A stiffer sidewall equals less sway and more load capacity.
  • Chris and Wanda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2P32UczhZ4
    They can put whatever name they want on the sidewall. Chinese tires are Chinese tires.
  • Ray
    I've had 4 sets of tires so far on the 2011 Cougar, 3 were Chinese 2 sets of Power King and 1 set Saffiro and latest are Goodyear Endurance made in the USA.
    I had no complaints with the Chinese tires but decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance when they came out as they were speed rated for 87 MPH versus 65 MPH. Gave me a little peace mind.
    One thing I did do was after the initial OEM set wore down was to up the load range. Really stiffened the sidewall.

Interesting reading on the subject - https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity
  • Lorraine
    We use Hankook G rated 14 ply ST tires. We are at the end of the second set since September 2011, with 80,000 miles on the RV.

With regard to using a truck tire vs a trailer tire, Google interply shear. ST tires are built for the torquing a dual axle suffers while reversing.
  • Lewis
    All great information! Speed rating is another thing to consider as traveling on interstates you want at least keep up in traffic. I'm sure it must be very stressful going through some of the large cities. That's a whole new subject lol!
    That was a good article Ray, thanks for putting the link to it.
  • Jcampy
    We had a set of MasterTrak tires that were 3 years old when we had 2 blow outs within 3 days. We just bought a set of Goodyear Endurance. Our question is, "Do you run your E rated tires at a max pressure of 80 psi?" In the past, we ran them at 65 psi and wonder if this was a mistake. We thought that a lower pressure would make the ride less stiff and not hurt the tires, but could this have led to the sidewall failure?
  • Ray
    Usually with tires you want to set the PSI for the load. But most people with just run them at max PSI because underinflation is worse than over inflation.
    Underinflation can lead to tire overheating and blowouts. Overinflation causes excessive wear in the center tread because the tire is bulged and not running flat on the road surface. So a little loss of traction too.
    There are recommended load tables for most tires or a quick check is to run chalk across the tire and drive it a bit, see if it wears evenly.
    I've been running my Endurance load E tire at around 72 PSI, OEM was load D and sticker on trailer said to run at 65 PSI for the load.
  • Road Home
    For what it is worth BUY AMERICAN
  • Logan X
    you also want to make sure your wheel is rated for the higher psi. There is usually a psi rating or max load capacity number stamped on the wheel somewhere.
  • RossCo
    I checked my stock wheels the last time my tires needed to be replaced. The wheels were rated at 1900# for a 10,000# trailer, so I was under rated by more than 2,000#. Now I have new wheels and tires.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment