• Zenitrame
    Hi Ray. Really liked your video on replacing the breakaway switch. I have a question for you and the forum about the switch. When parking my trailer, I use chocks and block the wheels or the “X-chocks” between the wheels. What are your thoughts about pulling the switch to engage the brakes as added safety or in lieu of the chocks? Is this recommended or a huge no-no?

Thanks for your reply.

Milo
  • Dhuhn
    Milo its not recommended to use it as a parking brake, it run on 12 volt and drain battery and could also do damage to brake assembly if on for long period of time.
  • Ray
    As Dan says having it on for long periods I think would risk overheating the magnetic coils that activate the brakes. There were some warnings about that on the box.

1yzdni5hk516jxt1.jpg
  • Ray
    In this video, I replace my old worn looking trailer breakaway safety switch with a new one. I explain the wiring and test it.

The breakaway switch is there in case the fifth-wheel trailer, and the truck becomes separated during towing. If that happens, a safety line will pull the plunger out, and the switch will activate the trailer brakes.

I also give the tow cable connectors a clean and redo a ground wire with a bit of corrosion on it.
  • Zenitrame
    Ah. Thank you both!

Milo
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal