• Ray Whyte
    26
    Many years ago I came across this article. I used vinegar ever since and have never had a problem with bad water.

    Vinegar Kills Bacteria, Mold and Germs
    Vinegar is a mainstay of the old folk recipes for cleaning, and with good reason.
    The vim of the vinegar is that it kills bacteria, mold and germs.
    Heinz company spokesperson references numerous studies to show that a straight
    5 percent solution of vinegar, the kind you can buy in the supermarket, kills 99
    percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses). He
    noted that Heinz can’t claim on their packaging that vinegar is a disinfectant since
    the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection
    Agency. However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar
    is powerfully antibacterial. Even the CBS news show “48 Hours” had a special
    years ago with Heloise reporting on tests from The Good Housekeeping Institute
    that showed this.
    Just like antibiotics, common disinfectants found in sponges and household sprays
    may contribute to drug resistant bacteria, according to researchers of drug resistance
    at Tufts New England Medical Center. Furthermore, research at the Government
    Accounting Office shows that many commercial disinfectants are ineffective
    to begin with, just like antibiotics.
    Keep a clean spray bottle filled with straight 5 percent vinegar in your kitchen near your cutting board, and in your bathroom,
    and use them for cleaning. I often spray the vinegar on our cutting board before going to bed at night, and don’t even rinse,
    but let it set overnight. The smell of vinegar dissipates within a few hours. Straight vinegar is also great for cleaning the toilet
    rim. Just spray it on and wipe off.
    I used chlorine bleach many years ago to sanitize the water system in the first trailer we owned. For that entire summer, we had to put up with the taste and smell of bleach in our fresh water. I did some research and since then have used vinegar to disinfect my water system. I add 1 litre to my empty fresh water tank, then fill it and run the pump to fill all the lines including the hot water tank. Let it sit overnight then drain the tank flush it once and add fresh water. No more taste or smell of bleach.
    One other concern with higher concentrations of chlorine bleach other than drinking water is the possible damage it can do to the PVC tanks and water lines. PVC is the type of plastic these components are made of, it stands for polyvinyl chloride. The information I have gained over the years is…the chlorine in the bleach over time causes the stable chlorine in the PVC to react and de-stabilize the PVC. Over time this degrades the plastic by leaching the plasticizers, which keeps the plastic flexible. Examples of chemicals that cause plastics to fail that we would all recognize. If you treat your car’s interior plastic surfaces and your tires, with products claiming to rejuvenate these surfaces and make them shine again, in a very short time you will see the treated areas begin to show cracks. This is the result of the plasticizers being released prematurely.
    Ie. cracks in dashboards, vinyl seats and cracks on the side walls of tires that have been treated with certain products. Check out the products you use, short time gain can sometimes lead to longtime pain.
  • Logan X
    76
    Very interesting stuff. I actually just sanitized my fresh water system with bleach.
  • Steve Thompson
    4
    Ray
    Very good write up.
    I will remember that when it's time to sanitize the system.
    Steve T
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
quote
ulist
image
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment