• Ray Whyte
    Check your suspension regularly, it could save you from a catastrophic accident.
  • Colibabas
    Checked mine last summer and found 6 of the 18 nuts loose on the leaf spring to axle mount U clamps, one I could spin with my fingers.
    Safe travels!
  • Rick
    Right on, Ray!

On a trip to Alaska this summer I had a bearing failure that caused a fire in the right rear hub of my small 5th wheel travel trailer. The hub broke and everything inside was burned to a crisp. I managed to find parts in Achorage and did the repair on the side of the road along Turnagain Arm. This happened even though about 8,000 miles before I had had all new backing plates, drums, bearings, etc, replaced at an RV service shop! Needless to say I was very surprised when this happened. So I've added another routine maintenance check to my list. I now jack up each wheel and check the bearings for looseness every 1000 miles, usually at a nice paved rest area. I also carry 4 sets of replacement bearings, seals, races, and grease on-board. And once a year I check the torque on the trailer spring shackles and u-bolts and the 5th wheel hitch mounting bolts. I was lucky that the hub didn't come completely off the axle, and that the axle was still usable. I'm now having two new axles installed on the trailer. I have already replaced the springs, and also the spring shackles and bolts with Mor-Ryde heavy-duty greasable versions. Hopefully this will be the last "adventure" of this kind!
  • Tim Smith
    kcrkjxr3x7fg4adg.jpeg
    xujm9zihh55gb5kl.jpeg
    We had this happen coming into Yellowstone this past spring - welds held but metal fatigue fractured - was able to get a mobile welder in and help him repair.
  • Ray Whyte
    With out regular inspection, things can go terribly wrong in the most inconvenient places. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Dave Messner
    Last year had nuts on one bolt that holds axle to leaf spring come loose which shifted axle on passenger side of trailer back about a foot. On highway 55 mph in New York state. Luckily 1 mile from rest area. Had truck repair shop come and put back in place. 3 hours later back on road. Could have been worse. Check axle bolts now before every trip.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment