• TerryMac
    I have a set of Trailer King brand tires on my 2005 Glendale Titanium 33E28DS 235-80 X 16's. I got them about 2 and 1/2 years and about 30,000 + miles ago. I will need to replace them before I make any more big trips.

Since I have very little clearance in the camper wheel wells, I will be sticking with official trailer tires. My original specs called for D range and I have upgraded to E's.

Would F's really add any more load capacity or durability? I suspect all RV manufacturers of believing their own wishes and marketing so I think that their GRVW is optimistic at best. I know that I am slightly over my limit when I start out for a four month trip.

I was crossing the on US 50 going to Tahoe from the Yosemite side and seeing some snow and ice. They did not have up the chain warnings but it got me thinking. Can you put chains on a camper? I hate to think about a 10,000+ trying to pass the truck. Those trailer tires have awful tread for anything other than nice smooth asphalt. Has anyone used those "cable" chains.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Just noticed my profile picture. I lost my pal last year. so I will need to replace it.

Thanks
  • George
    If your referring to put chains on a trailer its a waste of time. Chains should only be put on wheels that are powered. Just look at a semi that has chains on. The trailer and front wheels are never chained.If chains were installed the tire wouldn't rotate in snow or on ice. That's way on full time four wheel drive vehicles chains be installed on all four wheels. With a 4X4 I normally installed chains on all four wheels and left the four drive engaged.
  • Herb
    thats not true! Semi's DO chain up the trailer for braking purposes Single-drive axle commercial vehicles towing a semi-trailer must have chains on two tires on each side of the drive axle and two tires, one on each side, of any axle of the semi-trailer. ... Chains must also be placed on two tires, one on each side, of any axle on the semi-trailer. Some states require chains on a trailer when signs are out and/or some size & weight s are met.
  • Herb
    Chains are required in some states on a trailer when certain size or weights and conditions are met. Yes they do help. They provide braking and as you said keep it from passing you (jack knifing). When I was a commercial driver it was required in a lot of cases in the snow & passes. Even in an empty trailer it would provide braking and prevent jack knifing.
  • George
    I used to drive in high mountain passes in winter. Never ever saw chains on the trailer. Also was following a professional trucker on You Tube. He lives in Colorado and he said they never put chains on trailers especially going uphill. The tires tend drag in snow when going uphill . In British Columbia only the drive wheels have to be chained when required. I cant see chains helping on a travel trailer in the snow.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the LYRV Forum

Do you want to join the Love Your RV! Community?
Click for Invite Information