• Lisa's RV Experience
    Greetings:
    I have a 2018 Winnebago Class A RV and it came with a wired backup camera that shows on my display when I gear into reverse and also I can keep the backup camera on my toad vehicle when I'm driving. The problem is, the camera is so cheap and horrible that it only goes as far as my toad, it has terrible resolution but does have sound. I can't use it when I backup and because the color is so bad I can't tell a tree from a fence.

Any suggestions on a camera that I could just replace the original one with without doing any more wiring than what's on the back mount? I want to keep using my current display, not add another one.

Ray: I watched your Haloview reviews, do you think I could use my current display and not use the Haloview display? I'd hate to have another one on my dash.

Suggestions?
  • Ray
    They do sell a wired camera separate - https://www.haloview.com/haloview-ca601-wired-rear-view-camera.html
    But it likely won't just plug in so would have to be sliced. I imagine it has 4 wires -+ 12V power and maybe audio/video signal wires. Hard to say for sure if it would work with the Winnebago OEM system.
  • Drew
    Lisa,

Are you sure it's the camera? On my '08 Winnebago Sightseer I have a 3-cam system that's b/w. It has good enough resolution to guide me right over the trailer ball when we tow our boat. Several years ago I had to buy an aftermarket monitor because the old crt failed. I got one from RV Cams that was mostly plug and play. I had to do a little dash trimming but that was covered up by the trim ring that came with the new monitor. All the wiring was compatible.Backup cams
    By the way, if I ever decide to upgrade to color cameras, the monitor supports it.
  • George
    You might want to consider buy a multichannel dash cam . There are some good after market ones.They all record what you see to the front and back.
  • TerryMac
    When you are looking at cameras, one of the main things to look for is the "field of view". These cameras are like fish eye lenses and are measured in degrees of width. Typically they are 170 degrees which is very wide to see what is to the right and left but as you have noticed, everything gets microscopic a few feet back.

If you can find a camera with 120 degree view, you will lose the side view but you can see better directly behind.

I have been thinking about setting up two rear view cameras with different fields of view, one to see what is to the sides as well as one for straight back. (my monitor can split up into 4 screens.)
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Yes it's the camera, it's really dark and has the resolution of my first computer monitor. :lol: I bought the one Ray has and I'll install it when it stops raining.
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Ray, I just bought the one you reviewed. The monitor is beautiful and when it stops raining in SD I'll get up there and install the camera. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really excited about seeing traffic behind me, not to mention trees. :lol:
  • Ray
    Should be much better and it records. :)
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Maybe I won't back into trees? :gasp: I wonder, how big is your SD card and how long does it last when you're recording?
  • Ray
    I've been using a 32 gig and usually get about 5 or 6 hours out of it if I remember right, I just set it to overwrite the older footage. You can go to a max of 128 gigs. The easiest way to look at the footage is with an SD card reader and laptop. The footage isn't as clear as the live display or what I get off my dashcam but not too bad. Good enough if someone starts to BS the police about what happened. ;) Sound is terrible though, guess due to the little tiny mic port the camera has picks up lots of wind noise.
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Cool, thanks. I'll just use a card I already have and see if it's beneficial. Thank Ray!
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Easy install on the back, I couldn't use the sun guard (not enough space) but the camera is 100 times better than the original one that came with my Winnebago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1LAfJ2XCmLocUBUr7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvc2Jqo66FwpzeCe8
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube