• IronRick
    Hi All. I’m relatively new here and this is my first post. I did a search here however no luck with what I am using.

I have a 2012 F350 Powerstroke Crewcab Dually pulling a 2017 Grand Design Solitude 321RL. I have 2 Battleborn 100amp. Batteries and working on the Solar as money becomes available.

In a straight line it is 18 feet from either truck battery to tailgate. I figure if I ordered a cable 25ft. long that would work with all of the ups and downs. I will use Anderson Plugs and I feel another 12 feet of cable to get to the Battleborns. So total cable length will be 37ft. Question is what size wire do I use to safely charge my Battleborns ? I also have a Victron BMV-712 Smart and a BSC-IP65 as a temporary charger.

Being on Social Security Disability money is tight. I have noticed some cables out there are CCA / Copper Coated Aluminum. Is this good or bad ? Would a 100 amp. inline fuse be good or bad ? Lastly my Superduty has 2 batteries. 1 on either side. Does it matter which one I use? Any extra advice is greatly appreciated. September 6th. is the anniversary of my 1st. year fulltimeing again.

Thank you all.

Rick
  • Ray
    Here is a video of my recent install of a 40 amp DC-DC charger - https://www.loveyourrv.com/renogy-40-amp-dc-dc-charger-installation-and-demo/
    I was able to get away with using 4 GA and still get near 40 amps charge.
    They say its best to avoid Copper Clad Aluminum, not sure if its a safety myth going back to the old aluminum house wiring days or not, but it also has less conductivity from what I gather so not as good of power transfer.
  • IronRick
    Ray. I have watched your video on that a few times and that is what gave me the idea. ( Thank You). Is this what you used ?

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Welding-Flexible-Terminal-Connectors/dp/B07K4QPRNB
  • Ray
    Yeah, something just like that, I picked up from a solar parts place in Quartzsite, it was soft covered with lots of strands so quite flexible to be easy to route under the truck.

This was my initial crack at it with an old solar controller
  • IronRick
    Ray,

All is ordered and being delivered to a friend in Illinois for us to install next week. I will let you know how it works out. This winter will be my 2nd. year at Quartzsite. Hope to meet you out there. Thank You for your help. Now to order my circuit breaker for it.

Rick
  • Ray
    Cool, happy modding! :grin: Hope it all goes smoothly.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment