• Lisa's RV Experience
    Greetings all,
    I just had my second AT&T internet service cancelled without notice. I detest the idea of paying $130/month for unlimited internet but after this second failure of internet service I really need something that's going to work. I'd prefer AT&T but I'll take T-Mobile, they're much better than they used to be. I have a Verizon phone with a hotspot so I don't need Verizon.

A little background:
    The first company was Netbuddy.co where I paid $65/month and a $30 setup fee, $15 for the SIM. I'm sure it was one of those tablet AT&T plans for $39 that they resold to me. I didn't care, it was cheap and good until it wasn't. One day it just stopped working, of course there was no refund for the unused portion of the month and the Netbuddy.co wasn't answering ANY communication. Now they're back in business selling T-mobile. Next I tried Traveldata.page (strange URL but it works). They pulled the same thing, I got about 6 months before it abruptly stopped working. No email, no notice, just stopped.

Suggestions? What are you using? Is it dependable or just another "fly by night" company like I've had before?

Lisa
  • Al F
    Old saying..you get what you pay for..we know several people that use ATT but complain about coverage and customer service being weak at times. We have been using Verizon for many years now. Absolutely, hands down, rock-solid coverage and service from start. My advice is spend little more and go with the best provider.
  • Jack Tyler
    Lisa, the info resource I hear most often recommended to learn about both voice and data access on the road is the Mobile Internet Resource Center. If you aren't familiar with them, their Youtube Channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95x5NprjuvBuIHfuVo6W4Q.

Ray, I'm sure you'll be seeing these posts. In viewing many of your videos, I don't think I've seen you tackle the subject of the best approach for non-Canadians to have mobile data access while in Canada. With plan details - and even the plans themselves - changing regularly, I realize it's a dynamic topic that's hard to address in detail. But I can't help but think you will have some generic commentary on this challenge that might prove helpful to those of us who (hopefully, once again) can wander north of the border. Our last visit to Alberta and BC included a rude awakening to this issue, and Tim Horton wasn't by itself much of a solution. ;)

Jack
  • Grant and Lynn
    Hi, when we travel in the US we use a company called Ubifi. We have used for 3 years in a row and have had great service from them and no problems with coverage. The are truly “unlimited”. I think we paid $80/month. Check them out at https://www.ubifi.net/
    Grant
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    I already have a hot spot on my cell phone so I need AT&T to cover the missing spots. I've had great data service with AT&T I just wish I could find a cheaper option. Your'e right though, you do get what you pay for!

Thanks!
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Thanks Jack, that's how I got the information I've had all along. They're great!
    Lisa
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Grant & Lynn, keep your plan they're up to $99.99 now! Thanks for the info.

Lisa
  • Ray
    Some company called Nomad Internet keeps emailing me up lately, not sure if they are legit or not.
    Seems to be only available in the USA so haven't really cared at this point in time, but looks like a good deal for high data users.
    https://nomadinternet.com/
  • Tom Gourley
    Nomad internet is no different than Netbuddy and 100s of others of these fly by night companies that resale AT&T business service until AT&T cuts them off from their network. If you want cheap then you can keep buying them knowing that there is a huge likelihood you will lose service eventually.
  • Ray
    I think the best approach may be to use a USA carrier with good Canada vacation roaming coverage, cell data is expensive up here to buy as a pay as you go and I've even heard of Canadianis getting a US plan to use here versus a Canadian plan.
    But can't say I know much about the Canadian cell data plans as I when I'm here I'm generally on the RV park WiFi or WiFi hotspots from the cable company, but I think you need to know someone that has thier home internet service to access it.
  • JESFL
    I can't help with AT&T or T-mobile. But here's one tip. I have been using "Visible" (a Verizon fully owned subsidiary) for three years. FYI, it is $40/month, all in (no taxes or other fees) with truly unlimited data. I run everything, including 6 smart home devices and a smart TV in my RV off the Visible signal sent through a router for my own wifi network. I haven't been west yet, but right now I'm in LA (Lower Alabama) in what's been a notoriously bad Verizon signal area. Even so, I just checked and I am getting a 3-5 mb/s at -98dBm. Earlier this morning, I turned on my signal booster and was getting 35-40 mb/s. In more urban areas, it's not uncommon for the Visible signal to get me 50 mb/s or higher. So far, I haven't had to think about a second company to fill in holes, because the combination of the Visible/Verizon signal and a cell signal booster has always gotten me adequate coverage. Yes, I know that will change out west, and I may need a second plan then. This is not an advertisement for Visible, I'm not affiliated at all. I just have a hard time understanding why some are still paying so much for cell coverage and still not getting truly unlimited internet? I hope some of you might save some $$$'s if you look into Visible and change to them.
  • Jack Tyler
    Appreciate Ray following up on my Q. The problem isn’t the US carrier having a Canada/Mexico vacation plan, it’s the Canadian carriers surcharge that’s put on top of it that makes data expensive. Keeping all devices shut off before crossing the border gives one control of Verizon day charges...but the C surcharge was very poor value. Wish there was a better option...
  • Mary Lifeunderway
    Lisa, check out Unlimitedville. They have plans that are based on a single carrier -- for AT&T you would choose the Blue plan which is $199/month. It is truly unlimited - no throttling, no cap, no overage charges. They have a T-Mobile plan also which is the least expensive (Pink, $149/month). We have to have unlimited data for our work, plus we like to stream music and movies without worrying about the impact on a carrier's so-called "unlimited" plan that slows everything to a crawl after a certain point. It is plug-and-play: you get the router, plug it in, attach the antennas, log in to a website and set up your password for security, and that's it. Takes about 5 minutes to set up. We've been using them for about a year and are very happy with them.

We are followers of Technomadia as well and they have very good, but very complicated, high-level information. I'm not a computer scientist. I just need a simple system for strong internet that works. This is that.
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Yes, Nomadic Fanatic mentions them in every video he does. They're pretty expensive I think, over $125/month. Not sure what I'll do but I have to do something quickly.

Lisa
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Thanks, I've had Visible for almost a year and do like it. I am using the hot spot now to do this email! Thanks. Lisa
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Mary, $199 a month is just too much for me. I was paying $55 or $65/month even if I lose the service every 6 months. I'll post when I find what I've selected. Thanks for the info! Lisa
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    Update: I already had a Netgear Nighthawk cell modem so I purchased a $1 SIM card from Target and activated AT&T service with a company called Viper Boadband https://www.viperbroadband.com/ $99/month It's only been a few days so I can't comment on it's longevity but so far I'm getting good speeds. More later.

Lisa
  • George
    As a Canadian , we use Koodo Mobility which is a low cost subsidiary of Telus. They have plans with data up to 10GB per month. My wife's plan is $70CDN per month with 10GB data , unlimited Canada wide minutes and unlimited texting (includes text and pictures). I pay $55 CDN per month for the same except 4 GB of data.
    We have international roaming as well. In the US and Mexico its $8 Cdn per 24 hours and $15 Cdn in the rest of the world
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment