• Ben
    Hi all. I‘ve recently upgraded my rv battery from the 12v hybrid lead acid that came with the camper to two 12v deep cycle lead acid batteries, and now I’d like to add a battery monitor. I’m considering the Aili battery monitor because of its low cost, but the Victron BMV 700 and 712 seem very good. As a third option I just discovered it Victron Smartshunt. The price in a little less than the 700, and quite a bit less than the 712, but the only display is through the app. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these units, or could offer suggestions on something else. I don’t have solar yet, but have a generator. Thanks!!
  • Dhuhn
    I bought an aili never worked right finally bought an Victron 712 been flawless don’t waste your money on the cheaper one you will regret it. Also with victron you can integrate it with your solar down the road
  • Ben
    Thanks for the heads up on the AIli. I’ll avoid that one.
  • Jack Tyler
    Ben, the lesson I learned when installing a bluetooth-capable Victron 712 is that mounting the actual monitor where it can be viewed easily isn't really necessary. In my case, routing the data cable to a mounting location from the shunt's location was very difficult, nevertheless I was so convinced that I needed immediate access to the display that I went to the trouble of mounting it centrally in the trailer. However, whipping out the iPhone is so easy that, when I added a portable solar panel controller - also a Victron unit - I thought of its bluetooth capability as one of the reasons for choosing that controller. It would have been much easier if I'd just mounted the BM display near the shunt and relied on using the phone from the beginning. Good luck with your project; a good BM is a great tool.

Jack
  • Marc
    Hi Jack, What kind of range do you get with your phone / victron?
  • Jim Litz
    We can get about 30-ft away from our BMV712 before the Bluetooth cuts out.
  • Marc
    Jim, thanks for the info
  • Ben
    Thank you for the info!
  • RVsolar
    Yeah just picked up one of those as well the victron 712 smart Shunt Doing a big lithium upgrade this year
  • Logan X
    I use the Victron 700 and I’m very happy with it. I like having the display mounted near the control panel so I can look at it whenever I need to. Here is a video about my install.

https://youtu.be/tDJrtC_zRJM
  • Lisa's RV Experience
    I have the 712 mounted inside on my wall and really never use it, I always use my cell phone app.

Lisa
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet