• DaTraveler
    Ok, long story short... I installed the charger and it worked fine. I decided to upgrade my alternator to 160amps and now my charger won't even turn on. I'm thinking it's just coincidence that it happened when I replaced the alternator. I have checked voltage everywhere I can think to check and I'm either missing something or the charger has gone bad. Renogy support has been a major failure (in that I can't even get them to respond to emails or pick up the phone). I will attach pictures of what I have in hopes that someone here can point me in the right direction. Everything is connected using 4awg cable.

Anyone see anything wrong with this setup? I tried to follow the manual verbatim.

Thanks for looking!

s284iz37mgy9cqb5.jpg
    bscfp0bmn8ezg492.jpg
    8pva9zods70gb1dj.jpg
    hwf15hwk35w1c4kh.jpg
    ir9dpdckqqkt315k.jpg
    9hctr7e3h2t6gmfe.jpg
    ral13ox2pmf6lt58.jpg
    ireu1zcghtaq2www.jpg
    0poav35rt7i9yrp1.jpg
    cvcxgsd0fd9lkqxb.jpg
    yswaaa4dcknr2wnf.jpg
  • Craig Mckenzie
    When you turn your ignition switch on. Do you get a green light at your 12v signal wire on the dc to dc charger.
    The charger will not activate unless you have 12v at the signal port. Also I have found that the 12v source must be using the same ground as the 12v battery input feed
    f39jubxssk0gfr89.jpeg
    f39jubxssk0gfr89.jpeg
  • Craig Mckenzie
    Have you checked to see if you have 12v at the signal wire going into the dc charger. If you have 12v at the signal going into the dc charger but the green light is not active try using a jumper wire from the 12v positive cable going into the 12v input on the dc charger and run it into the 12v signal connection on the dc charger. If the green light lights up it means your other 12v source is not in the same ground source as the your 12v positive input cables to your dc charger.
    I have run 3 - 40 amp Renogy dc to dc chargers in my motor home and Jeep. I found that the 12v signal source has to have the same ground source as the 12v power input cables to work.
    I also recommend installing a 12v on/off switch in your 12v signal power wire going into the dc charger so you can turn off dc charger when you don’t need to charge.
  • DaTraveler
    Thanks for the suggestion. It had been working fine, so I don't understand why it would all of a sudden stop working the way it is currently wired. However, I am game to try any logical suggestions. I'll try wiring it to the positive cable coming from the alternator.

Also, the green light no longer lights up when the trigger has power.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • Craig Mckenzie
    So if your green light from the 12v trigger source does not light up anymore would mean you don’t have 12v on your trigger wire. Good luck
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment