• MROC
    Is there any good resource for Towing uphill/downhill or even pickup truck towing basics? In Ray's videos I've heard him briefly mention 'locking out gears', 'towing speed limits' and typical RPMs, but is there a more in-depth tutorial somewhere?
    I have a basic 2019 F-250 and my owners doesn't offer me much, as I don't have any of the new options. Can I shift into "M" on the fly? Will I ever need shift into 1st gear? Can I lock out gears (I don't think my model allows me to)? What gear/RPM range is typically desired? When/do I turn on my Hazards? Other courtesy tips?
  • Logan X
    I have an 2017 F250 diesel. I use tow haul mode and set the diesel exhaust brake to automatic and let it do it’s thing. If yours is gas, I would just put it in tow haul mode and it should be fine.

Are you able to manually shift the gears with the +/- buttons? If so, you can use those buttons on the fly and you don’t have to shift to “M”, you can use the +/- buttons while in drive. (This is how my truck works anyways)
  • Gardner
    I can shift into "M" on the fly, it then displays the current gear the truck is in. Then you can +/- at the proper speed. Locking out gears helps going down hill to keep the engine revs up where the engine braking effect is stronger (use tow/haul mode) and works with gas or diesel.
    I wouldn't bother with first gear unless you're stuck.
    I would use the hazards 20mph or more under the speed limit. We have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison and I'm also a former over the road trucker.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment