• MROC
    I live in a major urban city where Catalytic Converter theft is extremely common (I know people who average losing 1 per year). Is it a worry in the southwest/west? Has anyone heard tale of thefts?
  • Logan X
    I live in Long Beach, California and I park my truck on the street all the time. I have heard of catalytic converters being stolen but I have never had mine stolen and it has not happened to anyone I know.
  • Ray
    8 years full time RVing now, thankfully the only thing taken from the truck was a 2-gallon gas can. I tend to avoid major urban cities though.
  • RVsolar
    Never heard of any one getting there's taken .
  • MROC
    Great! Thanks for the responses. I guess there's more reason to move now.
  • Jefferson
    I think Ray did a video about security issues and boondocking. I worked as an insurance adjuster for 43 years and, yes catalytic converter theft is a thing. One of the side "benefits" of those battery pack operated Sawzalls.You can cut them out in seconds. And the metal is recyclable for money.

Ray's point (if I may paraphrase here), was that you just need to be aware of your surroundings. If it doesn't feel right, move on to somewhere else. Most boondockers are friendly and out there for the same reason you are, for the solitude. Crooks, I have found, are generally lazy and opportunistic. They are not going to drive out into the boonies looking for your stuff. It's just too much work for them. They need easy stuff. Of course, if you leave it out, laying around, they will pick it up.

MROC, there are skid plates to weld onto those exhausts, that make them less attractive to thieves, for those losing 1 a year. Their exhaust shop should be selling them; make them more theft resistant (nothing is theft proof).

Sorry, too long a post....
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet