• Zenitrame
    Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on planning a road trip. Last October my wife and I took a long road trip. We were on the road for five weeks. We did have planned stops along the way and by the time we got back home we had put just under 7,000 miles on our tow vehicle and trailer. Most of these miles were on major highways. We so wanted to take some less traveled roads but feared coming to a low bridge or long sections of no gas stations. So major highways it was. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to “know” this road is a safe route to take; nope don’t do it; and sure, why not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Milo
  • Rolland

Milo, a couple things to help on the low clearance issues. I’ve got an App (I didn’t want the printed version) for Mountain West and East directory. It gives some good road info both in clearances and percentage of grades. There are also some Trucker Directories one can get.

My main thing I use is the Garmin 770RV gps. It has two modes, Car and RV. In RV you can set up the information of the type of RV, dimensions, propane, etc. it will give you warnings if you get to low clearances, speed changes, curves, etc. one of the things I really like is which lane to be in on an interstate in a congested area when traveling through.
  • Doug Schneider

We too are planning a long trip, 5 months and 8K miles, and the Garmin will be our choice. Right now we are looking at the Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas. Have looked at it a couple of times in truck stops and the reviews are great. You can get it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0528019899/?coliid=I7HLHP7J5RBL2&colid=2YOFK49L0IV8C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . I like the ability to sit down with it and see all roads in an area where Garmin or Google maps doesn't give that great of an overview. I'm also using RVParky to map out our trip. These have been our resources in the planning stages. Happy Trails!
  • Zenitrame
    Thank you for the information! All we’ve been using was google maps on our phones and crossing our fingers! I’ll start looking into these.

Thanks again.
  • Beechbaby
    We use mainly use RV Trip Wizard. Not an app but web based. It gives mileage, clearance heights, multiple campground choices and gas stations based on your mileage and roads traveled. It will even give you estimated trip costs depending on budget numbers you set up. We love it! They also have great help for any issues you might encounter. (Operator error being my biggest issue!)
  • Zoom
    I have had great success staying on US routes. I know that is a simple answer but if you start your planning using US routes the chance of having an issue is very slim. Also the routes still run through towns and cities so there are plenty of thing to see on the way to your next destination.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment