• Jack Tyler
    We're considering a RV-oriented GPS navigator, one reason being our home base and much of our 'cruising' environment is out West with its intermittent cell service. So I've been mining some Garmin 776/770 reviews like Rays to hear user reports. Reading detailed Amazon reviews is quite disheartening as sooo many report not just terrible routing experiences but the unit's inability to adjust on the fly. OTOH many of the reviews I've found on Youtube, Amazon and such are now 1-2 years old. And of course it's always a race in software between new features to tantalize us and software maturity that assures stability of performance. And to be sure, we do understand no GPS system is going to be 100% reliable.

So....I'd surely welcome hearing from some of you about your *current* GPS 770 experiences (but please, with the most current updates installed). Somewhat ironically in this case, it isn't price that's a concern (well, not greatly anyway) but rather functionality. I've had some detestable GPS navigation experiences from apps and car-based systems and I'd much rather avoid an unpredictable but supplemental GPS navigator. After all, the Benchmark maps, internet and current apps we use have been serving us just fine so far. We're looking to 'optimize' our navigation a bit more...but not complicate it. ;) Thanks everyone!
  • Frank
    Rand Mc Nally seems to have good one. I hear good things about it, not cheap thoug.
    Overdrive 7'' RV GPS is the name.
  • OTRGrumpyman
    Hi Jack
    I use the Garmin dezl 760. It is a holdover from my trucking days. I have free lifetime map updates. On software version 5.40. I set the RV specks in the GPS, weight, height, Length etc. like you said don’t rely on it 100%. I also use google maps & rv apps. The one Garmin sell for RV have more POI’s for the rv travelers. I have had this unit for over 10 years now no problems.
  • Rolland
    We’ve had our Garmin 770RV for a few years and are happy with what it does. I like that I can use it for the truck and fifth wheel, then simply change it to “auto” when not with the fifth wheel. Even took it on a flight to FL when we would be in a rental car

For the RV side of things it lets you put in data on the type, size, propane, etc to give you warnings of things like low clearances. As all GPS navigation, whether a factory unit , phone or portable, the most important thing is to not totally trust it.
  • Rush and Lola
    We use a Ipad with all the apps available. When we open google maps it will display the route continuously even when theres no cell signal. Now this is our choice account wife will monitor it and watch it as we are in areas where we must be sure of turns and all needed adjustment in direction. I prefer no GPS on my dash cause I cant be looking at it anyway I got my eyes on the traffic. The Ipad was suggested to us in 2014 so we have used it since. The apps we use are for RV'ing and updates are done through updates that we have programmed into them, to be updated when needed. I like using my google map on phone. It talks to me and tells me all I need. I just have never been the one to have all things on dash board. I do have a Tire Pressure Monitor though on it.
  • Oldstairdog
    We have the Garmin 770RV and use it, and love it. We've traveled all around the US of A and have thanked our lucky stars for having it. It saved our bacon many times (low bridges)! So, I read where people have trouble with their units and I think that.....well never mind, I find that if you keep it updated ,and build a profile for your TT and hauler (or RV),then remember to change profile to the appropriate vehicle you will have a wonderful experience. When ever we get a glitch, it's always because we forgot to change the profile. My only grip (and this is just being picky) is I wish that when your making a change in direction that it would give you a little more warning.
  • Charles Lloyd
    Our RV770 is the third auto Garmin GPS we have owned. The first 2 were Nuvi 600 series units, a 4 inch screen and then a larger one with a POI for
    overpass height warnings from lowclearance.com which worked well.

When Garmin announced the RV770 one feature that I always wanted was the backup camera. Garmin offered a small credit for the Nuvi but we decided to keep it for the other car and as a back up in case the 770 needed repairs.

I called Garmin support to better understand the 770 routing logic.

The 770, when planning your route, takes into consideration your stored profile so you never see a low overpass warning because the software silently plans around obstacles. One precaution is if you are traveling without setting a planned destination and just observing you RV icon traveling down the road, you do not have low overpass advisories.

OK what about the backup camera operation and performance? First the camera display resolution is just OK. There are higher definition units on the market and Garmin missed their usual high quality mark with this option. However, I wanted to minimize the stuff in front of my windshield so the 770 fits this requirement just fine. The definition is good enough for me to see the area in back of the truck or RV.

A nice feature that sold me was that you can attach up to 4 backup cameras. We installed one on the truck and the second above the RV tag. The truck camera receives power for the truck backup light and is the default camera. That means that the camera display displays automatically when you are in reverse gear. It’s transmitter is located in the area in front of the tail light assembly.

I was concerned about the distance from the rear of the RV to the 770 in the truck so I got the transmitter extension cable to mount the transmitter in the landing gear cavity. To activate the RV camera I go into reverse and the backup display allows you to select other attached cameras.

Sometimes when a strange route is displayed, I check the alternate routing or just pull out the map to understand how the route came to be. All in all I like the number of features in the 770 and feel it is a good unit for RV enthusiasts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment