• Tim Bowman
    My wife and I just purchased a new trailer and the dealer was pushing an exterior protectorant "Tough Guard" for $1300. I realize this is probably a money maker and I declined but would like the wisdom of the forum about whether I made an appropriate choice.

Thanks for your assistance.
  • Logan X
    I don’t have any personal experience with it but I’ve heard those types of things are a waste of money. I wash and wax my trailer 2 or 3 times a year to protect it.

Congratulations on your new trailer!
  • Willie
    I’ve gotten away from waxing and use a gelcoat specific sealer. Lots of them on the market but I use Star Brite Marine Polish with PTEF (teflon). It goes on like wax but it’s easier to work. My fiberglas sheds water like a duck and bugs seem to be easier to remove. I “wax” my rig twice a year, spring and fall.
  • Jack Tyler
    Tim, we too just got a new trailer this year (January....Brrrr!) and my main motivation was not just keeping it clean (lots of blowing dirt here in Montana) but also making it easier to 'de-bug' after a trip. I tried 303 (recommended on the Lance forum) with the same ho-hum results I got when using it sailing. One of my favorite 'RV coaches' is Jared Gillis, who has the All About RV youtube channel. He recommend a new'ish product from Turtlewax - Ice - because of comments he'd been getting about it. Sounded too good to be true but I bought a spray bottle to give it a try. I applied it to the entire carcass of the trailer (only took ~30 mins). We just got back from 2 weeks and 2200 miles around the Southwest and the trailer came back a mess. Some Dawn in a bucket, a soft bristle brush, about 45 mins of squirting, scrubbing and rinsing and the whole trailer was spotless. A total of 4 bugs had to be removed with a doughboy as all the rest of them were released by the Ice and some easy scrubbing. So FWIW I think it's a winner. (If you want to hear Jared's experience, you can find it at about the 4 min. mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZXba-Q8B8 )

Jack
    Bozeman MT
    Lance 1995
  • Drew
    Tim,

I wouldn't take the bait the dealer is giving you. These things are pure profit for them and offer a worthless product to you. It's like the old days when they used to sell under coating in the back room called the f and I dept.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment