• Edward
    As a non-owner so far with RV and only learning. I see mostly two brands when I watch my YouTuber’s. Several install Victron and I see many with the Magnum, Morningstar. Will be going with lithium battery , of which brand still undecided.

So as you all are experienced with all the above. Pricing seems to be close.. Is there opinions on brands or some reasons for one brand over another?? Just curious on reasons....

Thanks in advance... Ed
  • Greg F
    The brands you list are both excellent. If you are looking to build a complete system Victron offers some neat integration of components through their color control panel and online portal where you can further examine data.

My own system is a little more basic. I have a victron solar charge controller and battery monitor and a Magnum inverter/generator. I got a good deal on the Magnum but would be just as happy with a multiplus 3000 from Victron. Both have essentially identical functions and are well respected in the industry.

The most important factor in any system is that it is designed and installed correctly.
  • Logan X
    I use Victron and I like their products. Just to offer another perspective, you may not need all of the bells and whistles that people put on YouTube. I camp with two 6v golf cart batteries and a Honda 2000 watt generator . I can camp for three plus days, including watching TV for about six hours a day, and the battery only gets down to 70% state of charge.

I use about 10-15% of the battery per day. I run the generator for about an hour in the morning when I make coffee and it brings the batteries back up to 100%.

I use a small inverter plugged into the 12v outlet near the TV so I can watch TV and use my Apple TV. I installed USB ports for charging phones and stuff off the batteries. Everything else runs off of batteries and propane.

Obviously do what you like, but you don’t need to spend 10k to have a very comfortable off grid electrical set up.

Here is a video about my set up if you are interested

Good luck with your new RV!
  • Ray
    All good brands Ed. Lithium batteries are less complex to charge than lead-acid, any one of those will do a great job. Pick the color you like and go camping!. :) Cheers, Ray
  • Edward
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. Great info on the forum.
  • Willie
    Logan X, god bless you for using a quiet Honda generator. There are too many construction grade generators out there that shatter the tranquility of the forest campground. The noisy generator is almost worse than having a bunch of drunks camped next door. Go ahead and make the cost argument, but it doesn’t hold water. If you use a construction grade noisy generator, your both cheap and inconsiderate. So Logan X, you da man! Thanks.

As far as charge controllers and battery system monitors, I’d encourage folks to buy something that integrates functions. One screen that you can scroll through sure beats two or three screens from different manufactures that cutter up your rig.
  • Jack Tyler
    Ed, let me first praise Logan's observations. Many YT channels are being monetized by full-timers who support high computer use and, for them, perhaps a big investment is warranted. Even our good buddy and mentor here, Ray, falls into that category. But do appraise your own needs thoughtfully as what appears to be 'the best' or a 'norm' is simply not needed by most of us. And as one example, we lived for most of 11 years on the hook and off the grid while cruising our sailboat, and while we had a more sophisticated monitor/charger/inverter system than one sees today in RV's, the *only* source of our electricity - just as with all RVs who are away from RV parks - was a house bank, specifically as group of simple wet cell Trojan T-105's. So far we have camped down to single digit (F) temps with our wet cells (note the temp charging limits on Lithium batteries), rarely use our EU2200 because of 290W of solar (small by YT channel standards) and have yet to dip below 85%. Almost every RV has a vented battery compartment (and so exposed to outside temps), so "just" swapping out the batteries can become a "relocating" the batteries and wiring. Never going to be in cold country? If you're buying an RV, it would be a shame to exclude the wanderlust that comes with it. ;)

Greg is spot-on about the depth and cleverness of the Victron product line. I installed their 712 bluetooth monitor and a Victron controller for the portable panel(s), and really appreciate using the iPhone to observe all the panels' performance. (With this capability, you can ignore how to run the data wire and where to mount the display, which can be an install hassle). However, I don't find Victron (the company) all that easy to work with when seeking info beyond the manuals (which are excellent) so a knowledgeable U.S. reseller might be a good idea vs. Amazon et al.. I also viewed a YT video just a few days ago that featured a very disappointed Victron controller owner who, when switching to Lithium batteries, found them incompatible, so double check that.

Good luck to you. Just remember that, when it comes to electrical systems, it isn't about a 'best' choice but rather a 'most suitable' one.
  • Jack Tyler
    P.S. I should have offered this fresh video from Jared Gillis, as he discusses in some detail the discharge and charge temp limits for Battleborn batteries. Jared has a number of videos on monitors, RV electrical systems and such. He's also a professional installer of these systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfyFXrpwfrk

Jack
  • Logan X
    another problem with construction generators is they don’t provide clean power. Inverter generators produce clean pure sine wave power so your electronics are protected.

I firmly believe in being a considerate camper. I always try to run my generator so no one is bothered by it and I only need to run it for about 1 1/2 hours on the second day (to keep the state of charge above 80%) for a three day trip.

Thanks for the positive feedback!
  • Logan X
    thanks for the positive feedback!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal