• Logan X
    Last weekend I was Boondocking in Jawbone Canyon BLM. I have two six volt golf cart batteries and I use a Victron battery monitor. I use my Honda 2k generator to recharge them.

Normally I discharge the batteries about 10-15% each day, as was the case this trip. When I went to charge the batteries with the generator the first morning, I noticed the batteries were not charging very fast. Normally they recharge the 10-15% in about an hour or so. After and hour and a half they had only recharged about two percent. I thought maybe something was wrong with my converter so I got out the manual. After checking if the converter was producing 13.6v, which I haven’t done yet, the manual said to check all of the connections including the ground. My ground to the frame was loose. I tightened it up and it seems to be charging normally again.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Eddie Aileen
    A loose ground, a bad connector, or corrosion at a connection will cause voltage drop.
    I use Noalox Anti-Oxidant wire paste on every wire/cable connection I make.
    Here is a older video I made you may like.....................
  • Logan X
    I watched the video, good information, thanks Eddie. I will try the noalox.
  • Eddie Aileen
    Happy Trails!!! :up:
  • Jerry D
    I also use it on my 7pin connector.
  • Willie
    And don’t forget, if you’re charging and you get a crazy high amp hour number that’s not normal, check your battery connections! A lose terminal will create resistance in the charging system. You’ll over work your generator, your batteries won’t be fully charged and you could start to cook wires!
  • bookoo
    This happened to me once. I discovered the auto reset breaker coming off the battery was bad. Replaced it and charging was back to normal. Later I upgraded the breaker to a higher amp manual breaker. I'm a big Nolux fan myself.
  • Logan X
    I’m going to also replace the auto reset breakers and put them and all of the wiring in a box attached to the inside of the tongue of the trailer instead of out in the elements. Thanks for all of the input.
  • GeekyGuy
    When you say you recharge your batteries. May I ask exactly how you connect to your Honda? Do you use the normal RV cord to the genny or else? Or is the genny connected direct to the batteries with a special charger?
  • Logan X
    I plug the generator into the trailer using the shore power cord. This allows the on board charger/converter to charge the batteries. It is very simple and works very well.

The charger/converter is a WFCO 8900 series, which is a three stage smart charger. It bulk charges at 13.6 volts, absorption charges at 14.4 volts, and float charges at 13.2 volts.
  • GeekyGuy
    Thank you I have a similar setup with a small 2100W generator and wondered if it was the most efficient way to recharge the batteries. Same WFCO converter too.
  • Logan X
    f7ye2lvhqgmucxuo.jpeg
    thanks for the Noalox recommendation. I used it on my battery connections. While I’m plugged in to shore power, my voltage used to be 13.4 or 13.5. Since using the Noalox, the battery monitor shows 13.66 while bulk charging. Every bit of efficiency helps!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment