• Scott Andrews
    All: Greetings
    Now that my work is now wherever my laptop is, my classroom can go with me. Would anyone please have a suggestion for the better mobile WiFi service? I am a trainer using the Adobe Connect platform and will need a reliable connection for two to three continuous hours.
    Thank you,
    scott
  • RVsolar
    hi USA OR Canada ?
    If USA Verzion hotspot jet pack.
    In Canada Telus or Bell
    We have a Telus hub works very good only Alberta BC.
    These folks seem to know the game.

https://youtu.be/LUqX-eYAf6Y
  • Scott Andrews
    We are in the Georgia, USA. Thanks for the tip.
  • Ray
    If you absolutely need to have a connection it's a good idea to have a backup carrier or two.
    I've found in the west that Verizon is probably the best for overall coverage, especially once you venture out of the city and away from major highways into a more rural setting. ATT is a close second. Tmobile and Sprint not that great but getting better.
    What happens sometimes though is you end up camped near a tower that is too overcrowded with connections and being that Verizon is very popular with RVers it can get slowed down if in an area with a lot of campers and RV parks during snowbird season. So many times you can switch over to a second carrier and see a better connection.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the tower will give preference to certain plans usually depending on how much a person is paying or if a business plan or official agencies. If on a cheaper unlimited plan many times you get what is called network managed and things slow right down as your connection gets less priority on a busy cell tower.
  • Dhuhn
    Scott check out this web site it’s RV internet resource there up to date on latest for connecting to internet. There a good resource for this. I’m not affiliated with them. There always testing https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
  • Scott Andrews
    Ray,
    Much appreciation for the sage advice. Luckily my company allows me a "hotspot" on my phone so the Verizon deal with as my back up plan. As my dad always said, "plan B should be better than plan A".

Be Well,
    Scott
  • John612

Question - maybe I misread the post , but isn’t a jet pack just for allowing devices that don’t have a service plan to connect to WiFi ? I can do the same thing by tethering my MacBook to my iPhone, although I lose the ability to make calls while I’m hooked up. The jet pack doesn’t enhance the signal, correct?
    Thanks for the info on crowded towers, didn’t realize that happened.

We have Verizon and it is normally very good, but at times not so good. Tech rep gave me a good tip the other day. If you’re having trouble getting a signal, switch your phone to airplane mode for a second as that will reset the tower you are using. We’ve found that trick works very well.

Thanks, John
  • Greg F
    Essentially yes, it is another way to use cell service for data. Sometimes the plans are better suited for data only, ie: more data GB for less money than a cell plan.

We currently use our cell phones to hotspot data for web surfing, streaming video etc.. but sometimes run into the limit of high speed data. Unlimited plans typically throttle or prioritize speed once you have used a certain GB. In some cases making them worthless even for simple e-mail checking as a hot spot. We have considered a Jetpack for the convenience of additional high speed data in addition to our phones.

If your current phone data plan gives you enough for your uses there isn't a reason to add another device to your plan or a whole separate plan with a jetpack aside from the fact that you could mix plans for better data coverage. One plan AT&T and another Verizon as an example. Some areas don't have coverage from one carrier but do from another.
  • John612
    Thanks Greg. I’ve been thinking about a second carrier, but we don’t travel enough to pay full year, will check to see if I can get a monthly plan.
  • Mary Lifeunderway
    If you need truly unlimited WiFi, check out Unlimitedville. They have color-coded plans, each one corresponding to a different carrier. We use the Red plan, as that is based on Verizon. Of course that's the most expensive - it's $250 per month plus a one-time $250 activation fee, but because we run a business it's an expense we can justify. After limping along using a Verizon jetpack and then switching to an AT&T hotspot when we went over the Verizon limit and got throttled speeds, switching to Unlimitedville has been awesome. Now we can stream music all day while we work, speeds for work applications are fast (obviously depending on the Verizon signal where we are) and we can stream shows at night and not have to worry about caps or throttling. If you're going to be mostly stationary, figure out what carrier has the strongest signal there and choose the corresponding plan. For being nomadic in the western US, Verizon (Red Plan) is the clear choice.

Some things I wish were different -- the router has no meter to tell you how strong the signal is, so we have to look at one of our Verizon devices to see that. You also can't tell how much data you're using or have used, and that would be nice to see (but just out of curiosity -- the plans are truly unlimited.)
  • Steve Lamb
    https://nomadinternet.com/pages/plans

You might want to check out these guys out. You pick the cell vendor you want.
  • Greg F
    This is a pretty good video from some knowledgable folks that have a channel discussing mobile internet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmxJPEseH0
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet