• AZMike
    Hello,
    We are considering a new 5th wheel with cable slides. I have heard some people complain about these being problematic but have never heard the specific issues. Has anyone here had a bad experience with them? Is there specific maintenance unique to this design to be aware of?
    Montana sure seems to be committed to this system and I know they are #1 selling brand according to the talk.
    Thanks everyone.
    Mike
  • Brian Snyder
    I have not had a cable slide out, but when searching the DRV forum there were many complaints about the Swintek system, not the cable system that DRV went back to after a couple years. I would think that after time the cables would wear, but have not seen much about issues on forums.
  • V Cramer
    We are full-timers living in a 36' Open Range fifth wheel since July 2014. The trailer was brand new when we bought it. Two months later (September 2014) the kitchen slide planetary gear went out, and we had to wait for 6 weeks for the dealer to get the part and fix it. Then in the spring of 2016, both the bedroom and kitchen slide (again) went out -- same problem -- planetary gear. Fortunately, we had an appointment for warranty work just a few days later. During the course of the warranty work, the dealer replaced all three gear boxes and told us that there was a recall on them.

We hoped that was the end of the story, but alas, not so. Over the course of the last 3 years or so, my husband (with the help of Youtube) has replaced the gear box on all three of the slides. He thinks these newer planetary gears are more heavy duty and hopes that we've seen the last of the problems. Time will tell. He did learn that there's a technique to bringing the slides in and out. I always just pressed and held the button, but he said I should press the button briefly to take the weight/stress off of the slide. Then I can press the button and hold it to bring the slide the rest of the way in or out. Since we didn't know that in the past, perhaps we wouldn't have had as many problems. It's hard to say.

I did want to point out that we are usually stationary for 3 to 6 months at a time. So, it's not like the slides are being brought in and out frequently. That's been our experience. If you have questions, please let me know.

Vicki
  • AZMike
    Thanks for your slide story Vicki. Are your slides using the cable system or something else?
  • AZMike
    Thanks for your reply Brian. I have heard that on the Swintec system it is important to not stop once you start putting slide in or out until it completes.
  • V Cramer
    Cable system
  • William R Green
    We own a 2017 Montana High Country 352RL. We purchased our unit new. Three slides, all with the cable system. On the kitchen slide, I have replaced the cable three times in three years. As far as Keystone being rated #1selling brand, I would be more than happy to sell my camper to whoever wishes to buy it.
  • AZMike
    WOW! I sure hope Montana helped you out with all those failures, obviously something was wrong from the start with that one slide. What happens to the cable - does it break? Can you move the slide when it happens? Thanks for sharing.
  • William R Green
    Yes, so far I have been able to close the slide with one broken. The slide still has three attached. Once you are out of warranty--you are out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment