The 2024 Summer Boating Season Begins!

Love Your RV & Boat!

The 2024 Summer Boating Season Begins!

General Boating Chat

• Ray

Got the winter cover off and getting things cleaned up and reloaded from the storage room. She is gonna get the bottom sanded and painted, a new anchor chain, and some maintenance/upgrades to the engine, off-grid power system, etc. But, overall we are very pleased with how Vestri survived the winter. Looking forward to a summer of cruising. :)

• Ray

Today, Anne was hard at work keeping Vesti looking ship shape. Sanding some of the teak rub rails in preparation for repainting. I started her engine, and she fired up nicely. Launch day is set for May 27th!

• Ray

We have been enjoying the last couple of weeks up in Lund on the sunshine coast of BC, getting the boat ready. Here, I am pulling off the Side Shift bow thruster so we can get it sandblasted and repainted. It will also need new zincs and the electrical connections cleaned up. Also, the bottom is getting scraped, sanded, and repainted with new bottom paint. The engine and plumbing are de-winterized and AC/DC electrical systems tested. We are camped near the boatyard at Sunlund RV Park, not many other people here actually. Once the boat is ready in about a week we will do some testing and a few short trips out of the Lund marina before heading out for the summer!

• Ray

Vestri's bottom hull is getting a full strip-down, reseal, and repaint. It's not the kind of work I enjoy, so Anne has hired some help. I'm busy inside the boat, readying the engine and power systems. 🙂

• Ray

May 2024 Update - Prepping "Vestri" for Launch - 34' CHB Trawler Boat

youtu.be/isDkA1N-3dc

• Ray

Vestri's prop and rudder are looking pretty after a good sanding.

• Ray

In this video, I utilize a Vevitts 12VDC oil transfer pump to drain my CHB trawler boat's Paragon P33AL marine transmission. It works great, making short work of a typically difficult task due to the cramped working space and two low drain points. I also used the pump to add new tranny fluid since it gets filled through the small dipstick hole. Hard to get a funnel to it. Overall, the inexpensive pump works well.
    youtu.be/XlkuR0B5-ls

• Ray

Vestri is just about ready to hit the water in a couple of days. The bottom has had a lot of work done, but the final coats of anti-fouling paint are now being applied!

• Ray

Vestri is finally back in the water! We took it out for a few short trips, and everything worked well. Looking forward to summer on the water.

• looks great! happy boating

• Hurray ! Safe passages, Ray & Anne. 🛥😀

• Ray

Last night's view June 24th anchored near Rebecca Spit, Quadra Island, BC. It was mostly cloudy today, but the rain held off, and the skies cleared up a bit this afternoon.

+1
  • Ray

The weather is still cloudy, rainy, and cool on the coast, but the winds are light. Yesterday, we stopped in at the Discovery Harbour Marina in Campbell River to pick up mail, groceries, and other supplies. The marina offers first-come, first-served docking for a couple of hours at no charge. There is a shopping complex nearby, so it works well for restocking. In the photo, you can see Vestri tied up next to the much larger trawler called the Nitinat Chief. :) Last year, I bought a Coleman folding wagon from Canadian Tire. It wasn't cheap on sale about $139 but holds lots of stuff 220lb weight rating and folds up small for storage. The key for me was the big wheels to make it easy to roll on the uneven docks.