Trip to the Broughton Archipelago Summer 2024

Love Your RV & Boat!

Trip to the Broughton Archipelago Summer 2024

General Boating Chat

• Ray

We are on the move now, heading northbound to the Broughton Archipelago. bcparks.ca/broughton-arch
    Our goal for this summer season. I already have some cool footage to share but I will have to wait until we get there and settled to edit it all, as we will be on the move every day for a bit. Here is a taste of the scenery so far and today we had an amazing dolphin encounter!

+1
  • Ray

Sad, this morning we saw a whale that was missing the tail fluke :(

youtu.be/yqSKVoHVDps

• Oh, how very sad to see this whale in this stat.

• Ray

Cortes Island to Forward Harbour highlights and scenery video
    youtu.be/hgISD0WHeFY

For previous videos mentioned, check out the boating video playlist - youtube.com/playlist?list
    Anne's Charles Bay Video - youtu.be/fQK2pSaM14c

• Ray

Footage of a black bear having some late morning snacks on the beach near our boat anchored in Douglas Bay, Forward Harbour, British Columbia. It was easily flipping over heavy boulders as it slowly meandered down the shore.
    youtu.be/CqpSOUKFMp8

• Ray

Summertime on the beautiful BC coast on a boat. Can't beat it. :)

• Ray

We made the trip from Forward Harbour to Port Harvey yesterday. Johnstone Strait was pretty good now that the NW winds have backed off. In the first cove we tried, we got the anchor stuck but managed to free it by pulling hard from the opposite direction. But while we were at it some left a nicer cove in the Mist Islets where we are now. I'll have a video out soon showing the travel footage. Here are some snapshots I took of the spectacular scenery.

+4
  • Milo

Hey Ray, really been enjoying your summer videos. I live in the southwest (El Paso, Texas) and don’t get much of a chance to go see places like where both of you are at right now. I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind. Do you have to call ahead and reserve or request permission for the places you’re going to stay at? I don’t know anything at all when it comes to boating and staying at places along the shore…. Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Ray

Marinas are like RV Parks, if busy most people reserve a spot on the dock but there often is first come spots and transient spots for a few hours tie up. Transient spots are often free. Anchoring is mostly a free for all except for a few places that are restricted due to industrial or environmental concerns. We mostly anchor as we have solar power and can carry about 150 gallons of water and have 3 20lb propane cylinders. So pretty self sufficient. We have been out since mid June and haven't had to pay anything. :)

• Ray

Forward Harbour to Port Harvey, BC – Scenery & Highlights
    Another video update from our 2024 boating season here on the south coast of British Columbia. This time, we travel from Forward Harbour to Port Harvey via the Sunderland Channel and Johnstone Strait. After briefly getting our anchor stuck in one cove, we arrive in another in the beautiful Mist Islets.

youtu.be/3TymQIMGjLQ

• Ray

Grizzly Bear Sighting from the Boat - Chatham Channel, BC Coast As we went northbound to the Broughton Archipelago, we passed through Chatham Channel when Anne yelled to me, "BEAR." This video contains what we saw: a grizzly bear foraging on the beach!
    youtu.be/QPfmItpdKBU

• Ray

Yesterday morning looking down Havannah Channel across Johnstone Strait to mountains on Northern Vancouver Island.

• Ray

Took this footage from behind our boat on July 20/21, 2024, as we were anchored near Potts Lagoon between North Vancouver Island and the BC coast. A momma grizzly and her cub play fought in the grass one evening and then, the following day, showed up again to look for snacks under the rocks during a low tide. What a treat to see!
    youtu.be/t-CmaV2q7qg

• Ray

Took these shots of a boat anchored near us at low and high tides. The difference can often be over 5 meters 16 feet. The large change in water levels makes for fast-flowing currents in the inlets and around the scads of small islands up here between the BC mainland and northern Vancouver Island.

• Ray

Another video update from our 2024 boating season here on the south coast of British Columbia. This time, we will travel from Port Harvey to Potts Lagoon via Havannah, Chatham, and Clio Channels. The timing was critical at a pair of narrow spots, but Anne's planning paid off, and the passage went smooth as silk. We were thrilled to spot our first grizzly bears of the season! What looked like a lone young male foraging along Chatham channel and a mother and cub behind our anchored boat near Potts Lagoon. The video finishes with a dinghy ride deep into Potts Lagoon at high tide. youtu.be/v79hivFP52I

For more, check out my boating video playlist - youtube.com/playlist?list

• Ray

We made it to the Broughton Archipelago Marine Park today, our goal for this boating season. We anchored just inside a peaceful cove all to ourselves. Here are a few pics of the scene. It's a little muted since it's been an overcast day, but very calm.

• Ray

The sun came out around noon, so we hopped in the dinghy for a paddle and explored the coastline around our anchorage in the Broughton Archipelago. Just amazing! We are headed to Port McNeill tomorrow as we need to restock after about 3 1/2 weeks since the last big grocery shop. The right back out here for more!

• Ray

We're eating well these days. Yesterday, we caught two tasty Coho salmon in Blackfish Sound. I fried them up and used the extra parts after cleaning them as crab bait. Tonight, there will be a nice-sized Red Rock and Dungeness Crab dinner!

• Ray

Another video update from our 2024 boating season here on the south coast of British Columbia. This time, we will travel from an anchorage in Potts Lagoon and explore the nearby anchorages before settling in a small cove. We found a sweet little spot between Berry and Leone Islands. Our own slide of paradise.

Highlights include hearing the wolves calling in the evening. Anne even got a photo of one on the shoreline. We also take a dinghy ride and explore the area, dipping our cameras below the sea to look at the abundant life!
    youtu.be/DiPPiyaqsak

• Ray

Another video update from our 2024 boating season here on the south coast of British Columbia. This time, we will travel from an anchorage in the Broughton Archipelago Marine Park across Blackfish Sound and over to Port McNeill on Vancouver Island.
    We overnighted at the North Island Marina (northislandmarina.com), within walking distance of a grocery store, laundromat, pharmacy, liquor store, auto/marine, outdoor stores, etc. We could also fully charge all our batteries and devices and fill the water tanks and jugs. Great stopover!

loveyourrv.com/resupply-t

The video shows the sights and sounds along the way and a view of the marina docks. Highlights included seeing humpback whales and Dall's porpoises and catching a pair of coho salmon for dinner! We can continue exploring the Broughtons for the next 3 weeks or so. Stay tuned
    youtu.be/bstmwxnQmOY

• Ray

This morning's view July 29th anchored beside Madrona Island in the Broughton Archipelago. Looks like we won't see the sun for a few days of clouds, fog, and rain. Temps Highs: 16C 60F Lows 13F 55F After this spell the long range looks pretty good, though. Drier and sunny to start August.

+1
  • Ray

Fog Slowly Lifts after the Rains - Madrona Island Anchorage in the Broughton Archipelago Marine Park A short video showing a magical-looking foggy scene at our anchorage in the Broughton Archipelago Marine Park, British Columbia, on July 29th, 2024
    youtu.be/XYQSyjfQsgw

• Ray

Yesterday, we came across a feeding frenzy of birds. Across on the shore were about a dozen eagles.

• Ray

We are buried fairly deep into the Broughtons now. Hardly another soul around, just us and nature. Anchored in a spot, some people named Eden Pool next to Eden Island. The name seems appropriate! :)

+1
  • Ray

We're on the move again. Up a remote inlet to a pretty bay called Kwatsi. Along the way, we stopped to view Lacie Falls, but it's just a trickle right now. It's a beautiful day, though after a fogging start!

+2