Jeff - Posts

Jeff

Jeff

• Ask For Help or Advice
    Fuse vs breaker
    J
    Jeff

I have just installed the Renogy 40A DC DC charger in my 5th wheel. I used 4 gauge wire (from a jumper cable - I think I got that idea from Ray) to run from the truck battery to the truck bed, through an Anderson connector and then to the charger at the front of the 5th wheel. I probably have at least 20 to 25 feet of cable from the truck battery to the charger. I measured 54 amps of current out of the truck battery but it was enough to continually trip that 60 amp breaker. I've upgraded to a 70 amp breaker and hoping it will solve the problem. I also have a 50 amp breaker after the charger and it has worked fine. The current is consistently 40 amps (+ or - 1 amp) coming out of the charger.

• Ask For Help or Advice
    Landing gear fuse
    J
    Jeff

I blew my 30 amp landing gear fuse when my 5th wheel was new as well. It happened when I was retracting the gear - I used to retract it all the way up. I was so new to RVing I didn't know what to do so I called a repair tech to come out. He said the most common reason these blow out is if you hold the switch on after the gear has fully retracted. I never fully retract the gear now and have never had the problem again.

• General RV Chat
    Welcome!
    J
    Jeff

Thank you Ray! I've been watching you for years and am now 7 days away from heading out full time in my 5th wheel!